The RHH Cardiology Department provide a comprehensive range of services in general cardiology, heart failure, pulmonary hypertension, management of cardiac arrhythmias, cardiac device implants, electrophysiology, echocardiography, diagnostic and interventional cardiology along with the provision of a 24/7 emergency Cardiac Catheterisation Lab angiography service.The Department is actively involved in a broad range of clinical research and clinical trials.
North South North West Statewide
Assessment and management of adult acute and chronic cardiac conditions. Paediatric patients under the age of 17 should be referred to paediatric clinics.
Cardiology clinics and diagnostic services located in Wellington Centre include;
- Cardiology general outpatient clinics
- Heart Failure
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Rapid Access Chest Pain Clinic
- Pacemaker, ICD and cardiac device clinics and checks
- Cardiac Pre-Assessment
- ECG service
- Holter Monitoring
- 24 hr Ambulatory BP monitoring
Diagnostic services located in the Cardiology Department, Level 2, D Block, Royal Hobart Hospital include;
- Stress Echocardiography
- Transoesophageal Echocardiography (TOE) & Cardioversion (DCR)
- Exercise Stress Testing
- Tilt Table Tests
Cardiology Department Invasive & Interventional Services located in the Cardiac Catheterisation Lab include but not limited to;
- 24hr emergency acute myocardial infarction angioplasty service through our Code STEMI initiative. This is the only 24 hour emergency STEMI and emergency cardiac service available to both public and private patients within southern Tasmania
- Coronary angiograms
- Percutaneous coronary interventions
- Right heart studies
- Cardiac Device Implants; Permanent Pacemaker (PPM). PPM box change, Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD), Cardiac Resynchronisation Therapy (CRT) / Biventricular pacing and Implantable Loop Recorders (ILR)
- Electrophysiology studies (EPS) and ablation
- ASD and PFO percutaneous closures
THS North West Region
Patients under the age of 15 should be referred to paediatric clinics.
NWRH and MCH - non-urgent cardiology referrals can be made to the Outpatients Department.
Emergency conditions/symptoms include (not an exhaustive list):
- Acute cardiac failure
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Acute Myocardial Infarction
- Acute symptomatic AF
- Acute symptomatic SVT
- Acute Unstable Angina
- Malignant Hypertension
- Suspected or proven Bacterial Endocarditis
- Symptomatic Bradycardia / Bradyarrhythmias
- Ventricular tachycardia
All referrals must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on the For Clinicians page and therefore should include patient and referrer demographics, history of presenting complaint, clinical examination findings, medications, allergies, relevant past and family history and relevant investigations. Specific requirements are detailed in the individual clinic and condition referral guidelines.
Referrals may be returned if essential requirements are not included.
Referrals are registered by the clinic to who they are referred and are triaged according to the specific clinic guidelines.
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar or Clinic Nurse to organise urgent review.
Acute - if symptomatic send to ED and/or contact Cardiology Registrar.
Clinic Appointments - Appointments are based on clinical priority:
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED - Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Urgent / category 1
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within one week, or sooner if clinically indicated.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment usually within eight weeks
For use by health professionals only