North South North West Statewide
All referrals should comply to referral standards and include in particular:
- Duration of symptoms
- Pattern and severity of symptoms especially nocturnal symptoms
- Blood loss, pain, bloating
- Systemic symptoms
- Overseas travel
- Current and past medications especially failed treatments
- Family history of Inflammatory Bowel disease
Initial work up:
- Acute persistent diarrhoea (<6 weeks) or Chronic Diarrhoea (>6 weeks):
- Stools M,C&S, parasites
- Consider Clostridium difficile toxin (previous antibiotics)
- FBE and ESR
- Folate and B12
- Iron studies and Ferritin
- Non-colonic symptoms suggestive of
inflammatory bowel disease e.g.
- Erythema nodosum
- Anal fissure
- Family history of inflammatory bowel disease
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Gastroenterology clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
Recommended pre-referral treatment
Lifestyle Changes: Dietary review
- Consider constipation with overflow
- Consider faecal incontinence
- Consider trial of anti-diarrhoeals – monitor as may be contraindicated if idiopathic IBD
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Semi-urgent / category 2
Less severe acute diarrhoea or chronic diarrhoea
Clinically suspected inflammatory bowel disease
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6348 7382
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6426 5115
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6430 6691
RHH ED - Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6222 8919
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the clinic and the relevant doctor for urgent assessment, or patient should be directed immediately to the Emergency Department.
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Next available appointment