North South North West Statewide
- Onset of symptoms and progression, location, pain, associated weakness
- Co morbidities:
- Endocrine conditions such as thyroid disease or diabetes
- Systemic symptoms or known conditions
- Medications including illicit drugs and alcohol
- Recent upper respiratory tract infection or gastrointestinal illness (in cases of acute neuropathy)
- Nerve conduction studies
neuropathy screening bloods:
- Vit B12
- Serum protein electrophoresis
- Urine Bence Jones protein
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Neurology clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
Management of co-morbidities.
Nerve conduction studies may provide an answer your clinical question without need for a neurologists clinical opinion.
Consider trial of neuropathic pain medication if pain is a significant issue such as amitriptyline or pregabalin.
Direct link to Health Pathways - Peripheral Neuropathy page
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Urgent / category 1
Routine / category 3
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
If you require a neurophysiological test and a clinic consultation, please complete two separate referrals and send the one for NCS/EMG to the Neurology Department Fax: (03) 6173 0292 and the OPD referral to the Clinic Fax: 6234 3982.
No formal clinical opinion will be provided during the NCS/EMG session.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6348 7382
MCH ED – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6426 5115
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6340 Fax: (03) 6430 6691
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6222 8919
We will endeavour to see these patients within two weeks.
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call, as per below:
- Contact the Neurology Registrar directly within hours via the RHH switchboard Phone: (03) 6166 8308
Next available appointment