Assessment and management of pregnant women including pre-natal diagnostic testing and high risk pregnancies
North South North West Statewide
THS does not accept referrals for:
- Termination of pregnancy by request.
THS North West Region
Does not manage high risk pregnancies. Patients are referred to Northern Region.
From 1 November 2016, the Mersey Community Hospital (MCH) Emergency Department will no longer see any pregnancy related complaint. If a woman’s illness is related to a pregnancy condition at any gestation for example ectopic, bleeding in early pregnancy or abdominal pain they must be directed to Northwest Regional Hospital (NWRH) Emergency Department not MCH as MCH will not have the facilities to treat these patients. More information is available on the One Health System website.
A referral (preferably faxed) is required for all new appointments and must conform to the Referral Standards as outlined on For Clinicians.
Referral by fax on the Statewide Antenatal Template is preferred as it prompts for all the required information. Women are triaged from this referral, so accurate details are essential.
For further information:
- Antenatal Shared Care Kit - Developed by Tasmania Medicare Local in conjunction with the Obstetrics Unit at the RHH.
- RHH Maternity Information Package
- THS North - Your Pregnancy Care Options Brochure
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED). Please contact ED Medical Officer in Charge:
LGH ED – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6348 7382
NWRH ED – Phone: (03) 6493 6000 Fax: (03) 6430 6691
RHH ED – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6222 8919
Urgent / category 1
Urgent referrals should be accompanied by a phone call to the Consultant/Registrar to organise urgent review and the referral must be faxed.
We will endeavour to see these patients within four weeks, or sooner if clinically indicated.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment
- Health Smiles for Two pilot project enables eligible pregnant women who live in the North West of Tasmania to be provided priority dental appointments with Oral Health Services Tasmania at a North West clinic.