Amputee Prosthetic Clinic
From April – August 2022, the Department will contact patients waiting for an outpatient clinic appointment via SMS, with a link to an electronic form. This forms part of a routine audit to ensure patient details are up to date. If you receive this SMS, please update your details.
There is no condition information for this clinic
The Amputee Prosthetic Clinic provides multi-disciplinary input for clients requiring an amputation or management of people with lower limb and upper limb amputations.
North South North West Statewide
Assists people who have had amputations to improve their quality of life. Rehabilitation post amputation is important to minimise disability, and improve function and independence. Care following an amputation is ongoing and lifelong and regular review in the Amputee Prosthetic Clinic is required.
This service works closely with the Orthotic Prosthetic Services Tasmania (OPST).
- Clients considering having an amputation
- Clients who have recently had an amputation
- Clients with prosthetic comfort and usage issues that have not been able to have these issues resolved by the prosthetists
- Clients with an amputation who require an interdisciplinary approach to progress their rehabilitation
- Clients who may have had an amputation some years earlier but who are experiencing barriers to work related or recreational activities who would be assisted by interdisciplinary team involvement
- Clients with an amputation who may require a significant change in prosthetic prescription, due to a change in health or funding status
- Clients with an amputation requiring diagnostic and medical advice, as well as an interdisciplinary team involvement
The Clinicians involved in the clinic include:
- Rehabilitation Physicians
- Other Allied Health staff through the Community Rehabilitation Unit as required.
A referral is required for all new appointments.
Please fax the referral directly to the clinic.
Please provide appropriate information for a full assessment including any concerns you have and appropriate clinical information.
Proceed to Emergency Department (ED).
LGH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6777 6405 Fax: (03) 6777 5201
MCH ED* – Phone: (03) 6478 5120 Fax: (03) 6441 5923
NWRH ED* – Phone: (03) 6493 6351 Fax: (03) 6464 1926
RHH ED Reception – Phone: (03) 6166 6100 Fax: (03) 6173 0489
Advice for medical practitioners can be given by the Medical Officer In Charge (MOIC) - see HealthPathways Tasmania for contact information.
*MCH and NWRH MOICs request GPs call them prior to referring a patient to ensure the patient is being sent appropriately to a safe destination.
Urgent / category 1
We will endeavour to see these patients within 4 weeks.
Semi-urgent / category 2
We will endeavour to see these patients within 12 weeks.
Routine / category 3
Next available appointment.
For use by health professionals only
Please click the following links to access useful information about management of amputees: