Obesity Surgery (Bariatric Surgery/Lap Banding)
The Department will periodically contact patients waiting for an outpatient clinic appointment via SMS, with a link to an electronic form. This is part of routine waitlist auditing to ensure patient details are up to date. If you receive this SMS, please update your details.
North South North West Statewide
All referrals should comply to referral standards and include in particular:
- Co-morbidities if present such as hypertension, hyperlipidaemia, diabetes including their current treatment
- History of weight gain and loss
- Mental state and past psychiatric conditions
- Waist circumference, BMI, and blood pressure
- Include test results with referral
- U&E Cr and eGFr
- Lipid profile
To refer a patient with this condition, please see the Obesity Surgery clinic page for the full referral process and templates.
Encourage patients to continue to look at other means of weight loss and health maintenance as this is a lengthy process.
For more information please see the Tasmanian Health Pathways website.
Routine / category 3
All referrals for consideration for obesity surgery
Red flags are clinical indicators of possible serious underlying conditions requiring further medical intervention. They may or may not indicate an emergency.
Next available appointment.